Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Is God Enough


 I left work early yesterday  with a sore throat, runny nose and a headache....i.e. the beginnings of a cold (Arrrgh) but used the time to do some reading and play sudoku.  Anyway, I was reading this book called Knowing the Bible 101 which breaks the bible into sections and goes on to summarise the books in each section.  I was reading the section on The books of Poetry and Wisdom and got to the summary of Ecclesiastes.  To paraphrase, Ecclesiastes tells us that ultimate and lasting fulfillment can only come from God because compared to God, everything is meaningless.  I know this intellectually but in the day to day grind of life it is easy to forget.  I know how it feels to want something so badly and finally get it only to wonder, "Hmm, is that all there is?"  It is so easy for me to forget that only God can really satisfy.  So last night I drifted off to sleep telling God that even if I never have some of the things I wish for (like kids) that I want Him to be enough. 

Psalm 16:5-6: 
LORD, you alone are my portion and my cup;
   you make my lot secure.
6 The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
   surely I have a delightful inheritance.

No comments:

Post a Comment